Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It Is Done!

I got my copy of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" from the local library on Saturday and finished late Sunday night. OMG, J.K. is such an awesome writer. She’s kept me riveted to her story of a wizard boy for many years. And I’m not disappointed in the final installment. If you haven’t read the book yet, I recommend you stop reading this blog entry….

I’d heard that many would die in this book…and sadly, they did. So many to say goodbye to. But none hit me as hard as the death of Dobby the House Elf. He was always wanting to help Harry and his friends for setting him free. And in the end, he gave his life saving those he dearly loved. I was grief-stricken when Harry learned this. And cried as Harry dug Dobby’s grave by hand. It hit me harder than the other deaths.

Glad that Harry was able to have closure with Dumbledore at the end. As incredible as he was, it was good to know that Dumbledore was also “human” and made mistakes. The difference (as he’d always said to Harry) are the choices you make. And Dumbledore chose to learn from his and become the great wizard he was.

Of course, I KNEW Snape was good! He had to be. Figured he had a crush on Lily but didn’t know just how strong. And that he sent his Patronus to help Harry was great to see.

Won’t go into the rest (it was all good), but I have read that many fans were disappointed in the epilogue. They didn’t like/need it; didn't want to get to know Harry "the man" (i.e., it should be Harry "the boy" to end it). One of by scrappin’ friends, Becky, and I were talking about this, too, and I think she summed it with "the excitement sorta fizzled" with the epilogue. I agree with her thoughts.I would have been fine ending the book with the battle. Could have wrapped it up by adding some closing stuff like Harry and Ginny meeting up again and perhaps one of them making some comment about their kids someday attending the school. Having Harry stumble upon the Malfoy family all huddled in the corner. Cissy gives Harry a slight nod as if saying "thank you" from their family. Even allow Draco and Harry to have some sort of moment when their eyes meet. No words but J.K. could have written it something like "Harry couldn't be sure but thought he saw some glimmer of remorse reflected in Draco's eyes". Of course, Ron and Hermione could be found snogging in peace with the turmoil over. Perhaps have Kreacher seek out Harry, and have Harry give Kreacher a piece of clothing in order to, at last, free him. Perhaps Kreacher could have taken it and disapparated off...or he could have NOT accepted it and remained a part of Harry's family.

No comments: