Friday, April 8, 2005

Mixed Blessings...

Welcome to my little piece of Paradise.

Timing-wise, there's probably a better time to start my blog. But perhaps, in the grand scheme of things, this is what was meant to be. After a long battle with cancer, emphysema, and a recently diagnosed ulcer, my brother and I said goodbye to our dad yesterday. As sad as the day was, it was also one filled with relief. After being admitted to the hospital then moved to ICU, dad's health contined to deteriorate. We were all on a rollercoaster ride, watching his vitals go up then down. But in the end, it was just too much for him. And with the suffering that we all knew he was experiencing, we were relieved when he finally left the body that had served him well all these years. He'd never have been able to go back to the life he was used to. In his condition, leaving the hospital would have meant a nursing home...something he never would have wanted for himself. He's definitely in a better place now.

And I'm sure he's organizing the troops up there, much like he did for all the seniors in his apartment complex here. My brother and I can just hear him now..."Yes, sir, I realize that you were the Pope down on Earth, but I've been tasked to coordinate the BINGO game. Do you want one card or two?"

Okay, I promise my future entries will be a little more lighthearted than this one. At least, that's the plan. Then again, you never know what will happen in Paradise...

No comments: