Let's see if I can finish my Spring break recap here and now. When last you left me, I was on a plane bound for Orlando (from CKU-A Chicago). The family was flying in later that same day, along with my in-laws. The good thing was that the in-laws and my family met in Denver for the 2nd leg of their trip so they were all together. Now, back to me....
Finally land in Orlando (very tired, very hungry). No scrapbook tote with me (realized I'd left it in the hotel room with Amy and Marcia) so I can't work on the cheerleading tag albums I'd planned to do in the airport while I waited from 9:30 am (my flight arrival) until 3:45 pm (their flight arrival). Can't chance ripping into the taped up box because I didn't have any more tape to retape it (it was in the scrapbook tote). I pick up my suitcase and box, the return to the "main" area of the secured terminal (all gates converge here, on the way to baggage claim). I lug my stuff to Macaroni Grill (a place to sit and eat) only to find it doesn't open for 10 minute more. Lug stuff back out of the entrance and find a place to sit. Return later for breakfast. Yes, it's almost 11am in Orlando, but my body is still really working on West Coast time (8am) and the hour I lost due to daylight savings (that very morning, so 7am). The only thing on their menu for me....pasta. So I order it. Can't finish it all (too much, tired, headache). She asks if I want to take the leftovers with me. She doesn't know, but I'm thinking "where? over to THAT chair over there?" No thanks.
Exit restaurant to find another place to sit (this time, I figure it's best by the restrooms and phones). I'm watching the clock to try and catch DH when they land in Denver to tell them I'm in Orlando but without my cell phone (it, too, is in the scrapbook tote still in Chicago). So I sit and wait. And wait. And wait. Good thing I had 2 granola bars (packed for CKU classes that I luckily didn't eat) and a Kukuro book (cousin to Suduko). Work on puzzles and wait. Finally, it's 4:15. They ought to be turning the corner soon, right? Plane landed 30 minutes ago, right? Hmmmm...where are they? Ask another kind stranger (second time - first was so I could use the restroom) if they'd watch my bag/box so I can walk over to check the arriving flights (yes, they will). DELAYED! Arggggghh! Until 6:15pm. Double Arggggghh! Good thing that Kukuro book has many pages. Back to waiting. I realize I have my camera with 300mm zoom lens. Pull it out and attach the lens (now I don't have to ask another person to watch my stuff while I check the flights). I can see it from my seat. Finally, at 6:12pm, it shows AT GATE. Thank goodness! Twenty minutes later, I see my family and get the biggest hugs you can imagine. Best part of my day, by far!
Day 1 (Mon) - Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure: Great fun! The kids had a blast. The Jurassic Park River Adventure (loved it!). Amazing Adventures of Spiderman in 3D (fun ride, though DD didn't appreciate Spidey getting "in her face" on the front of the ride). Dueling Dragons Rollercoaster (hit with DD...and she conned her Papa to ride with her!). The Cat in the Hat (for little kids but I loved seeing it! And great pics!)
Day 2 (Tue) - Sea World: Loved the sea lion show, Clyde & Seamore (and that oh-so-cute otter)! And of course, Shamu! Boy, were we glad NOT to be in the front rows...especially me with my Nikon DSLR! Talk about being drenched! Another rollercoaster, Kraken (with dad, this time). More laidback day, but still fun. And the find of the day - the Italian charm bracelet link with a flamingo on it! The one link the DD has been wanting for oh-so-long. We told her that if we were gonna find it anywhere, it'd probably be there! And we relocated from a motel to the Disney All-Star Movie Resort (whooa! how cool is this place!).
Day 3 (Wed) - Animal Kingdom...and the arrival of Auntie Jess, Uncle Clint, and Michal: The last part of the family arrived last night. DS now has his cousin to join him (his cous is one month older, though shorter). Headed to our first Disney theme park. Kilimanjaro Safari (very cool!) was a family favorite. We got to see a baby dinosaur hatch.
Day 4 (Thu) - Magic Kingdom: The equivalent of Disneyland..it's gotta be my favorite. And the kids love it, too. All the favorites like Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan's Flight, Small World (which I prefer in CA since you walk up to the majestic Small World "castle"...in FL, it's tucked inside a building). We had our longest wait for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (sign said 40 min...closer to 120!). We loved Splash Mountain. And seeing all the characters (we only waited to see Mickey and Minnie in the morning).
Day 5 (Fri) - This was our "day off" (sort of). We went to Downtown Disney and shopped to our hearts' content. We got tshirts and scrapbook stuff and candy. Even got to eat at the Rainforest Cafe. After shopping, we hit the pool at the hotel for some R&R. We couldn't keep outta the parks all day so we headed to Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks. We caught a couple of fun rides while the parade was going on, including Mickey's PhilharMagic. What a great 3D show. Would love to see it again. But the finale...THE FIREWORKS! OMG! Awesome does not even begin to describe it! And with the seats we had (right outside of PhilharMagic), we got to see them up close and LARGE! I got some good shots, too!
Day 6 (Sat): Disney MGM Studios -and- Epcot: Okay, what ride is a "must do" at MGM? That would be Twilight Zone Tower of Terror! I loved it. Surprisingly, DD did not. It wasn't the ride that she didn't like but the whole "terror" thing. We think she sort of psyched herself out before even getting in line. She can stomach rides that I can't even begin to want to ride on. So, the ride wasn't the problem. Then again, she doesn't like "The Haunted Mansion" either. Again, I think it's a mental fear thing. The other "must do"? "Lights! Motors! Action!" - The BEST show! All of us loved it. Watch a stunt show and see some behind-the-scenes action. Very cool! Very fast! Very FUN! We did a few hours at Epcot but not as much as we'd have liked. We did stay for the fireworks. It was another great show (though I preferred the one in Magic Kingdom).
Day 7 (Sun): Our last day. We decided that we didn't get a chance to really see Epcot so headed back there. We loved all the countries! Had a wonderful lunch in China. Got to see a 360 show of China and Canada, and got some goodies before we left.
Our first trip to Disney World was truly a MAGICAL one! Yes, we'll be heading back again someday. Thanks for a wonderful memory, Walt!
No comments:
Post a Comment