Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Start of a Brand New Year

of school, that is. Today was the big day. Mat and I took the kids to a local restaurant for breakfast, then over to the school. Samantha was so excited to get there. She kept asking me for the time (translation: are we gonna be late?). Nicholas was having a difficult time at the table which, sadly, was an indication of things to come.

The kids' rooms are next door to each other, which is kinda cool. Samantha was met by one of her best buds with a BIG hug. Another had brought her a gift to start the year (a ceramic flamingo...a REAL winner!). She is and has been ready for school to start.

On the other hand, Nicholas was having a tougher time. As he stood in line, it became apparent that he did not want to be there. He's been placed in a combination class (1st and 2nd graders together). As we scanned the kids in line, we didn't recognize anyone....and I'm sure Nicholas noticed this even before we did. He was very quiet and reserved (definitely NOT our son). When the teacher opened the door and let them all in, he searched all around the room for his desk. A desk with his name - something he would recognize in this sea of unknowns. As he looked at me one last time, I gave a "thumbs up". Sadly, I never saw the incredible smile that I'm so used to seeing come to his face.

As the door closed, I peeked in the window one last time. He was seated at his desk, his back to the window...and he was rubbing his eyes. My worst fear is that he was trying his best to hold back his tears. He would not want to cry with all these big kids around. My heart just about broke.

During our walk back to the cars, Mat and I talked about our son and his resilience. He isn't one to embrace change. And yes, he can handle most situations that come his way - in time. Hopefully, this will only take a little time to get over.

No comments: