[cue voiceover announcer] When we last left our family…
We learned that our wayward suitcase might actually have made its way to ABQ. Didn’t matter that we’d just been at the airport less that an hour ago. We didn’t want to chance it being picked up by someone else so it’s back into the car, drive the icy roads out of the residential neighborhood (which doesn’t get plowed, sanded, whatever), and over to the airport.
As I walked into the US Airways baggage claim office, what should catch my eye but the neon blue luggage tag on a bag that looked very much like ours! Whoohooo! “Don’t worry, little one….momma’s coming!” When the gal got off the phone, she asked what she could help me with. As I started to share my story, she instantly knew who I was.
US Airways: I talked to a gentleman a little while back.
Me: That would be my husband.
US Airways: Yes, your bag is right over…
Me: Here (as I point to it).
US Airways: Is that it?
Me: Yes. So, do you want me to sign something?
US Airways: Oh, no. Go ahead and take it. And Merry Christmas!
Well, I take my bag but I have to wonder. If you just found a customer’s bag that has been lost for ten days (a customer who has filed a lost luggage report), wouldn’t you insist they sign a release of some kind to document that they retrieved their bag? Guess I could have sent my husband back later to request our luggage. Can’t you just hear the interchange….“Your wife already picked it up.” “No, she hasn’t. We’re here to get it now.” “But sir, it was released to her.” “Do you have something to document this? Or did you just give away our luggage to a stranger?” Not a good way to handle baggage claim, don't ya think?
Anyway, I take the bag to the car and open it. Good news/bad news/good news.
Good news: All my jewelry is still there and intact. So is my nice wool coat.
Bad news: The light that we’d planned to give our BIL for Christmas is missing. It WAS tucked under the coat, but is no more.
Good news: I pull out the electric razor from the outside zipper pocket. “Honey, here’s your razor.” “That great…but it’s not mine.” Now, under a different set of circumstances, this could raise some questions. But after the craziness of this whole luggage fiasco, it’s just the Travel God’s way of balancing the scales for our “loss of light”.
Back home, we now await our Wednesday early morning departure. We opted to use the airport shuttle (what with the ugly time of 4am, slick roads near the house, and numerous pieces of luggage and carryon). We arrived at the airport in record time and make all our flights (on time…what a concept!).
Upon our arrival in Boise, I wait with the kids while Mat goes to fetch the van. RIIINNNNNG! Cell phone. “Um, I’ll be a little delayed…we have a flat tire.” Well, go buy a lottery ticket cuz we’re having a run of luck (all of it bad, though). We thought we might have a slow leak. Fourteen days later, almost all the air is gone. Mat asks the gas station to make the repair. No can do…irrepairable. Turns out, it’s a good thing this happened since he can see that it could have blown on our drive home had it just been pumped up. We get a “new” used tire and are on the road in under one hour (give the service station guy a tip!).
The drive home is very windy and rainy…which becomes snowy when we hit the mountains. I’ve had enough snow for a lifetime, thank-you-very-much. Mat does his usually great job of taking care of his family and gets us home safe and sound (albeit a lot tired). Thus ends one of the worst “travels” on record.
Next post, I’ll concentrate on the “vacation” part of those two weeks. Unlike the “travel” part, THIS was a great vacation!
No comments:
Post a Comment