Wednesday, September 5, 2007

CKU Nashville

Howdy and Yeehaw! Hadn't planned to attend 2 CKUs this summer but it just worked out that way. I had two very good friends who I just HAD to meet in Nashville. Becky and Marcia (in alphabetic order)...

Ms. Becky! What can I say? We've known each other for many years now. Heck, I don't even remember when we officially met. We were on the DT at The Jungle until it closed earlier this year on New Year's morning (heavy sigh). But we've kept in touch via other boards and groups, including The Scrapbook Chalet. Now, Becky is a Georgia peach so heading to CKU Nashville was a no-brainer for her. Now, even after know each other all these years, we had never met IRL.

Then there's Marcia....my CKU cohort in crime! Marcia and I have been in 2 awesome dorms together (the Scrappin' Biker Babes and Scrappy Business). And for both, she created the coolest logos! And being on that coast, too, Nashville was a good choice for her.

Anyway, with 2 great friends headed to TN, how could I NOTattend?

Oh...can't stop there. I mustn't forget Carol. I was blessed to meet Carol (and DD, Kim) at CKU San Jose. Then, Carol and I met up again at CKU Anaheim. I think between me and a couple other gals, we convinced Carol to head to Nashville...and I even got her to join our dorm!

And speaking of dorm, let me say a big HI to my other dormies. Carrie (any friend of Marcia's is a friend of mine), Stacy and Cathy (our "insiders" who work for Gaylord), Julianne and Michelle. Ladies, we had a ROCKIN' great time...and you all helped make it so.

So at the end of August, I flew east. Got to stay the night with Becky and her wonderful family...and see many of Becky's gorgeous scrappin' creations IRL! Then on Wednesday, with her vehicle loaded with luggage and two friends with lots to gab about, we set off. We checked in at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel (OMG! what a beautiful location), then drove to Scrappucino (a LSS there) and met up with Marcia and Carrie who were coming to the end of their long drive. Great LSS, by the way!

Our dorm was selected to perform. We were "007 Nashville...Live and Let Scrap". Two of our dormies, Stacy and Cathy, work for Gaylord so found us a great place to rehearse. It's the sound stage where they used to film "HeeHaw"! How cool was that!

I ended up helping my friend, Michelle Hill (Li'l Davis) at her M&T table. After 2 years of CKU M&Ts (all about "My Favorite Things"), I don't find them quite as exciting as I used to. So helping Michelle out was more fun, enjoyable, and rewarding to me. I got to visit with most all of the gals attending CKU when they hit the table.

That night, we had the tailgate rally and dorm performances. And we rocked the house, if I do say so myself. Our performance was to a medley of "Live and Let Scrap" (aka Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die") and "Scrappin Agent Man" (aka Johnny Rivers' "Secret Agent Man"). I think the words were pretty awesome... but since I wrote them, I better have liked them! LOL Came in 2nd and got a big box of goodies. And we got so many great comments and kudos from scrappers over the course of the next 2 days...and THAT's why we do the dorm thing. To have fun and share a little of ourselves with our scrapping friends.

Had some great classes including "Treasure Box" with Michelle van Etten (Prima), "Wicked Techniques" with Emily Adams (Luxe) and "Designer Details" with Debby Schuh (Anna Griffin).

And the topper was my album track with one of my FAVE pink ladies of all-time, Margie Romney-Aslett (Making Memories). The album is "Start Sharing" and what's even better is that I'm doing the album from Mat's perspective. He compiled the list of things to "share" and helped select the photos. Can't wait to finish this one. I've been in a "Margie" album track before. And it is always a HOOT, let me tell ya! LOVE HER...KISS KISS!

So, you'd think that this would all make for a great event. But wait...there's more!

As with every other CKU, I always must create an entry for the contests. Likewise this time. I took copies of my entries for the album cover and layout contests. I cannot tell you how floored I was when not just one, but both entries WON! YES!! I kid you not! My LO won for "Best Overall", as well as my album cover. I got a huge box of goodies for the LO plus a cool Karen Foster tote filled with stuff for the album cover. Good thing I took the extra empty suitcase with me. I always do, so I can bring back my purchases and all the class and album track goodies. This time, I needed it more than ever. Each suitcase weighed in at 51 pounds (thank you to the curbside checkin that let them go as is). And it's a good thing they DON'T weigh your carry-on which I loaded down with heavy stuff (figuring my luggage might not make the cut otherwise).

Yes, it was another memorable CKU for this scrapper. I just hope CKU keeps the great times coming by NOT discontinuing CKUs in the future.

1 comment:

Erin Bassett said...

Wow Emily, sounds like you had a really good time. Congrats on winning!!!