During last year's end-of-year dance conference, Samantha's Dance Director shared with us some information about an annual dance event called IBC - International Ballet Competition. Though held annually, the event only comes to the U.S. every 4 years. And when it is here, it's held in Jackson, Mississippi. It just so happens that in 2010, IBC returns to U.S. soil.
And after almost a year of anticipation, IBC is in full swing. Yes, our "little" girl is across the country with our Director and 20+ dancers from our company. She left last Saturday on a plane with 4 other dancers. And it was quite an experience - for dancers and parents alike.
We stayed Friday night in Spokane since their Southwest flight left at 7 a.m. Saturday. After checking luggage, Samantha had to say goodbye to Mat and Nicholas before heading through Security (only one adult family member could get a security pass to go with her to the gate). It was a very sad time for Samantha.
Five dancers and five moms.
We got to the gate with plenty of time so we all headed to the nearby Starbuck's. Big mistake. I realize this IS an airport, but I've never seen a slower Starbuck's in all my life...and I've been to quite a few, let me tell ya! As we were waiting (...and waiting and waiting...) for our drinks, we heard the announcement for the girls' flight to start boarding. When we bought their tickets, we paid for "early bird" boarding (which meant they were in the first boarding group) to ensure the girls could find seats together (since SW doesn't have assigned seating). We didn't know WHEN they would board if they'd waited for their drinks so we sent the girls on ahead, with me shortly behind.
When I got to the gate, I told them to jump in line based on their number...only to discover that group A had already boarded. So off they ran to the front of the line. Although I was the only mom in the area, even I didn't get to hug my girl. I could only wave as she walked beyond the check point.
Within a couple of minutes, the other moms arrived, with Starbuck's in hand. We asked one of the SW agents if there was any chance of getting the girls their drinks. And what a doll -- he offered to take them onboard!
So, we waited patiently for their 7 a.m. flight to leave. After 15-20 minutes passed (and we realized we were looking at the wrong plane, no less), we asked the gal at the gate what the problem was. The plane had left the gate but returned. Then she said 3 words you don't want to hear, especially when your daughter is on the plane....possible fuel leak. WHAT? I shared the news with the other moms as we texted/took calls from our girls. I went back to the same guy who helped us earlier. His response: "I don't know where you heard that (fuel leak). It's a possible oil leak, but the cold temps last night can often be a contributor to a false code." Oil is better than fuel, right?
Anyway, the mechanic was called at 7:20 but wouldn't arrive til 8:00. He said it would probably take ~20 minutes to inspect (paperwork might take a little longer). I asked him what the "worst case scenario" was. Worst case: Can't be fixed right away. They would deboard the plane and move them to another across the terminal. Hmmmm....we were liking THAT option since it would mean our girls would come off the plane and we'd be able to say goodbye with hugs and tears.
When all was said and done, the plane was fine (which meant no deboarding....drat!) and they took off at 9 a.m....two hours later. Guess we now know why their itinerary had a 4-hour layover in Las Vegas. HE works in mysterious ways and was looking out for HIS children, too.
We all received numerous texts and phone calls on each leg of their trip. In Las Vegas (2 hours to find their gate and have lunch) and a touch-down in Houston (no plane change) before reaching their final destination. We got her call from the Jackson Airport while at the baseball field as they were enroute to baggage claim, then later when they were safely at the university (they are staying on campus for their 2 week adventure).
Nightly texts and calls, plus periodic Facebook updates, allow all the parents to keep tabs on our dancers. You can hear (and read) the excitement as they share information about classes, performances, and friends (old and new). Today is the big trip to the pool (some sort of water park), followed by yet another performance of the highest calibur dancing. I SOOOO wish I were there to watch it all with Samantha. She has her camera with her (her mother's daughter) so we are all hoping to see some of the fun when she returns.
For now, we will just have to wait for our big girl to return home. LOVE YOU, SAMANTHA! And enjoy the IBC experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment