Thursday, November 10, 2005

Doing the Mom/Dad thing

I get to enjoy the duties of being both mom and dad right now. Why?

- DH (and family) lives on West Coast; friend lives on East Coast.
- Friend has training class this week in AZ (near the university they attended).
- Friend invited DH to join him and have some fun over the Veterans' Day weekend.
- DH's wife (yea, that's me) said "no" to the weekend (Hey! We already have tix to see Lion King).
- DH flew down for the week. Days spent checking out the places he used to go (while Friend is in class); nights spent catching up with Friend and doing "guy" things.
- DH's wife counting down the days till DH returns.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that he gets to go meet up with Friend in AZ. I always get to leave for a week to attend CKU with the girls. But why (someone tell me) is it that when he's gone, things "happen"? This time, it was yesterday morning - driving kids to school. All of a sudden, I hear my daughther yell "Mom! He threw up! EWW!" Lovely... So, whip a U-turn and head home. Clean him up (and the van). He said his tummy feels better (okay, maybe something bad he ate...) so I pack us back into the van. On the way, he tosses two more times. Luckily, mom had the foresight to bring a bucket with us (no mess to clean this time). So, we drop off big sis, and he and I return home. He had a low-key day at home. I told him he could NOT watch TV all day (and he didn't). He drew and colored pictures, read books, and rested (even snuck in a nap). I ended up doing a little scrapping so something productive came from the day at home.

Kids are anxiously awaiting tomorrow...that's when Daddy comes home! He arrives around lunch so we can enjoy a nice meal when he touches down. Okay, add ME to that list of anxiously awaiting family members.

"Gotta Do It" challenge: It's tough when I loved one leaves home for a while; even if it's just for a short time. What is it that you miss most when he/she is gone? Document it on a LO. Include a photo of the person (and you). Perhaps a list of things you miss. Or even a private letter to that person, tucked neatly into an envy or pocket. Put your heart and soul into this one.

No comments: