Saturday, October 24, 2009

Halloween Party tonight

Yep, the kids are getting ready for the annual party at the dance studio (the Senior Company uses this as one of their fundraisers). The kids all show up in costumes (there are many very cool ones), they play games, eat lots of treats (no nutrition here), watch videos, and have a costume contest. This year, Samantha and one of her friends are going as pre-ballet dancers. They are dressing like the littlest dancers - decked in pink tutus and crowns and wands. If it were me, I'd probably have gone a different route, but they seem to be happy with their choice and that's what counts.

Nicholas opted to go as a sack of potatoes. He told me a few weeks ago that this is what he wanted to be so I did what I could to oblige. I tried checking the feed-and-grain store first (in hopes that it might save me some sewing) but they don't seem to keep potato sacks in stock anymore. So, I headed over to JoAnn's to pick up fabric. Armed with burlap, muslin, felt, and stuffing, I headed to my sewing machine. Three hours later, Sack-O-Potatoes was born. I used the muslin to create an inner lining for the outer burlap sack. I used the stuffing to make "potatoes" and stuffed them into the costume, between the burlap and muslin layer. Finally, I used the brown felt to write "POTATOES" on the burlap sack. It looks pretty cool, if I do say so myself. More importantly, the kids love how it turned out. I believe the word they both used was "awesome"!

Now, what makes tonight's party doubly terrific is that, once we drop them off, Mat and I will be going to a nice restaurant for dinner. Just the two of us. It's not that far from the dance studio so we'll be able to get them when the festivities are done. And in the mean time, we can enjoy a much-awaited date night. And we don't need a costume for our evening!

No comments: