Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunshine Saturday...Part 2

Reason 2: Dance Recital

Each year, the annual recital is held in the park on an open-air amphitheatre. The day starts around 8 a.m. when the dance floor is laid out, then they run the show rehearsal from start to finish, stopping to make spacing adjustments and to polish certain parts. When all 50+ pieces have been rehearsed, we break for lunch (usually a potluck for the Mid-Columbia Ballet company members and their families), then reconvene around 5p.m. for the actual show. Of course for all this to work, we need good weather. And Saturday was perfect!

Samantha ended up performing in 7 dances during the recital. The opening number (#1), the finale (#56) and five more scattered in between! All 3 companies revisited their Spring performance piece, "Gaelicia". Her other pieces were "Bat Dance" (from the Saturday optional class), "Black and Gold" (jazz), "I Speak Six Languages" (Triple Threat), (musical theater), a ballet piece w/some of the senior company, and the pointe demo finale. She was absolutely wonderful, and I'm not just saying that as her mom. Samantha's performance/stage presence has improved with each recital. And this year, she just glowed onstage. My favorite was her jazz piece, but I've always been partial to jazz.

Mat is going to format the video to upload to Facebook. When he's done, I'll see about adding it here, too.

My beautiful dancer! I love you so much and am I ever proud!

No comments: