If you told me that I could only hit one store during a shopping trip to SF's Union Square, there'd be no doubt in my mind which store that would be. Macy's. Yes, back to my roots. One of my first real jobs was at Macy's. I started as a salesperson at the Downtown Sacramento store (in Men's Suits, then moved to Juniors). Then, I went into Macy's management program where I actually worked here at the Union Square store. After "graduation", I took a department manager position at the Citrus Height store (Petites, Macy Woman, and swimwear) before transferring to the Fairfield store to take over Juniors.
So, after our trip to Ghiradelli Square and only 3 hours available to shop before dinner, I knew which store I'd take Samantha to for some shopping. Seven floors of women's and children's wear (actually more if you consider they expanded into the adjacent building) and a separate building for men's. I still remember when Macy's acquired that building -- Liberty House went belly-up and Macy's didn't want Nordstrom's moving in next door.
I think she was a slight bit in awe of the sheer size of the many stores in Union Square. And Macy's was no exception. As we were walking the 2nd floor (shoes), we stumbled upon one of the various clearance rack sections. Although the racks were signed by size, the shoes were pretty much a jumbled mess. A tennis shoe caught my eye; one that I thought Samantha might like. It was a bright turquoise, teal and green low top (much like the Cons she loves). I showed them to her and her eyes lit up. I'd found a winner. And when I showed her the brand, it was an even better score. COACH! Yep, a Coach shoe...and in her size, no less! And along side of it was another. This one a little more subdued (navy with multi-colored C's) yet oh-so-cute one in my size. And it, too, was a Coach.
After getting each mate and trying them on, we'd found our first bargain of the trip. And, with the added discount received with the Shopper's Pass that I bought, the price tag was perfect. Mine were the more expensive pair -- $38. Samantha's? Hers were a steal at $27. Whohoo!
We ventured to the Juniors section where she was able to find a pair of turquoise sweat pants ($19.99) and a cute yellow top for $4.99. Then we headed to Petites (yes, that'd be for me) where I found 2 pair of slacks (one black, one a charcoal grey herringbone pattern) and two sleeveless knit tops (one in a sage green, the other a medium blue with faux tortoise shell beads adorning the neckline).
And, although we found a couple of shirts for Mat, we couldn't find that "just right" top for Nicholas. NOTE: He did seem to like the ASU Sun Devils t-shirt that I picked up for him at Pier 39.
We managed to get in a little more shopping time by opting not to catch BART back to the house. Since we weren't too far from The Stinking Rose (our dinner destination), I called Mat and told him that we'd meet up with them there. Samantha and I took the bus from Union Square to the restaurant. Although I got myself a little turned around coming out of Macy's (the wrong door), I was able to get us back on track. We had to walk a couple of blocks down Stockton (away from Union Square ) before it became two-way again (and the Muni stops began), but we got where we needed to be. We were actually there 20 minutes before the rest of the family arrived. Could've done a little more shopping.
As we were walking to the bus stop, I asked Samantha if she'd had fun. Yes! Then, I asked her if it was a little scary? Yes! She's not used to being in a BIG CITY. And usually, both dad and mom are with her. But she (and I) made it safely where we had to be. I think I'll have to bring her back for a shopping trip....strictly shopping. That way, we don't stop our shopping because we "have to be somewhere". Except maybe lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment