Sunday, May 10, 2009

Home from the Dance Festival

After a long-but-enjoyable few days, Samantha and I are back at home again. We've spent the last 5 days in Provo, UT, at the Marriott (which also allowed me a chance to do some recon of the local eateries for my CKU trip this summer). We were there for 2009 Regional Dance Festival (Pacific Region). Samantha's ballet company attends this each year and this was her first time (last year was her first opportunity, but Samantha and Nicholas were in cousin Tamera's wedding).

It was a long trip. And when I say long, I mean LONG! The company chartered a bus for the ride. And we left at midnight on Wednesday morning. UGH! Did I sleep? Yes. Did I get any rest? NO! I thought trying to sleep on a plane was bad. No more.

Samantha and three other dancers from her studio were in the Junior track. One ballet class and one stretch-and-strengthen class per day plus a few other "lecture/participation" type classes. During down times, we would find another class to go observe. Got to see her Intermediate and Senior Company dancers in some of their classes. Many incredible instructors to watch and learn from.

Each night, they had a performance by 6 or 7 of the dance companies in attendance at the festival (our Senior Company performed on the first night). Oh, so many talented dancers. So many interesting pieces being performed. A variety of choreography, too. From very traditional ballet to more modern/contemporary works.

On the final night, they had the Gala dinner plus awards (e.g., choreography). They also had open auditions to many summer intensives (aka summer clinics) at some prestigious dance companies. One of our gals got a scholarship to attend the summer program with the Pacific Northwest Ballet. One dancer (not one of ours) is headed to the summer program at Julliard. I believe four of our senior company dancers were awarded summer scholarships from the auditions. Perhaps one day, Samantha will audition.

Just as important as the dance experience, it was a great bonding experience for mother-and-daughter. We got to spend some quality time doing something that we both love and have a passion for - dance. So glad she loves dance as much as I did...and still do. And from what I can see, she'll be dancing for many years to come.

No comments: